Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Very Hungry Caterpillar Cherry Pie Cupcakes

For the "cherry pie" and the "cupcakes" that the Very Hungry Caterpillar ate, I decided I would rather go with cherry pie cupcakes rather than just cherry pies.  These were super easy to make, although I did learn a lesson that I will tell you about in a minute. 

I started these cupcakes with just regular Devils Food chocolate cupcakes because I figured that chocolate & cherries surely had to go together well.  After making the cupcakes, I iced them with cream cheese icing.  As you can tell from my other cupcake posts, this is pretty much my favorite kind of icing ever.  After the icing, I spooned on some cherry pie filling.  The next step was to make them look as much like a pie as possible.  I have seen some super cute looking cupcakes that look like pies on Pinterest & in my cupcake book, "What's New Cupcake?", they teach you to make cupcakes that look like these.  I just don't trust myself to be that neat with the icing lines.  Hopefully as I continue to have parties & make cupcakes that I will get more comfortable with icing, but for now, I decided I needed something simpler. 

So what was my decision?  I decided to use whipped cream around the edges of the cupcakes to look like a real pie.  


So how did that turn out & what did I learn?  Whipped cream + outside party in the South = melted mess.  The whipped cream did not make it.  I wish that I had thought that through a little more & at least attempted to pipe some icing around the edges, but I didn't so here is what they turned out looking like. 
Next time, I will definitely attempt to pipe some icing.  It will definitely look better.  But I will say that even though the whipped cream melted, the cupcakes were delicious.  The chocolate, cream cheese & cherry pie filling was a good combo.  Now if I can just get the icing to look better next time, maybe I can get these cupcakes to be a success.  Better luck to all of you.  : )


Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Invitations Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Food Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Apple Cake & Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Cherry Pie Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Guestbook & Favors Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Banners Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Decorations Post

No comments:

Post a Comment