Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Very Hungry Caterpillar Party Food

So what did we eat at this Very Hungry Caterpillar birthday party?  Well, pretty much what the hungry caterpillar ate.  
On Monday, he ate through one apple...so I made an apple smash cake and apple cupcakes, which you can read more about here.
  

On Tuesday, he ate through 2 pears...I thought about doing some sort of recipe with pears to represent this, like pear tarts or something, but ultimately decided we had enough sweets & I liked the way the green pears looked piled up in the red pedestal bowl I had gotten from my grandmother's house.  

On Wednesday, he ate through 3 plums...the plums were like the pears...saw some cute recipes, but decided it just wasn't worth the extra time.  So I stacked them up in the green pedestal bowl opposite the pears.  And yes, that sticker still left on the one plum drives me insane.  How it made it onto the table that way, I will never be able to explain.  I must have been in a dream-like state or something.  Pretend you don't see it, k?  : )  

On Thursday, he ate through 4 strawberries...none of the pictures really show the strawberries well, but I just put them in clear larger jars & let people eat them with toothpicks.  Simple enough. 

On Friday, he ate through 5 oranges...this was another fruit stuck whole into a glass container.  I used the little Halos so the kids would eat them & they wouldn't be so big that I could only fit a couple in the jar.  

On Saturday, he ate through one piece of chocolate cake...guys this was probably a cheat more than using the whole fruit was.  These are actually Little Debbie chocolate cakes.  Maybe not homemade chocolate cake...but hey, that caterpillar didn't seem like it was too particular about what it was eating at this point.  I'm sure it would have loved Little Debbie.  ; )

One ice cream cone...for the ice cream cones, I actually made ice cream cone cupcakes courtesy of some great ideas on Pinterest.  You can read here about how I made them & how I will probably try & make them in the future.  : )  

One pickle, one slice of swiss cheese, one slice of salami...for these "foods" the caterpillar ate, I just made meat/cheese & pickle trays.  One tray had the pickles, crackers, salami & cheddar cheese & the other had the pickles, crackers, sausage & swiss cheese.  Nothing fancy, yet people seemed to eat this up the fastest.  I love some salty with my sweets, so I don't blame them.  : ) 

One lollipop...here is where Oriental Trading came in handy.  I talked a lot in the "Ahoy! It's a Boy!" baby shower post about how wonderful Oriental Trading is.  For that party, I got all kinds of decorations , party supplies, snack containers, etc.  One of my favorite things from that party, were the nautical suckers that I got for the kids' snack table.  While I was shopping for the "Ahoy! It's a Boy!" party, I already knew I was planning on the "Very Hungry Caterpillar" theme for Addy's birthday, so I looked around for anything I could use for it.  I found these great butterfly suckers that just happened to have a caterpillar crawling up the butterfly sucker stick.  They were perfect to use as the lollipops that the caterpillar ate.  I also put them in the kids' favor buckets.  They were actually pretty yummy too.  I'm telling you, check out Oriental Trading for some of your party stuff.  So cute & really good prices.  

One piece of cherry pie...well guys, I'm going to be honest with you.  I don't know much about baking pies.  Even though sweets are my weakness, I don't really even eat much pie.  Cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes...oh yes.  But not really many pies.  So I was not remotely interested in making cherry pies...mostly because I don't like to make things that I won't enjoy eating.  So I decided to make Cherry Pie Cupcakes instead.  You can read here about how that turned out & what I would do differently next time.  You can see a theme with some of my desserts...like I typically would do some things differently to see if I could make them better.  

One sausage...nothing much to tell here. I took kielbasa sausage & cut it up & put it on the trays with the cheese, crackers & pickles.  

One cupcake...so our hungry caterpillar ate a ton of cupcakes...apple cupcakes, ice cream cupcakes, cherry pie cupcakes...even cupcakes that looked like the caterpillar with red cupcakes as the head & green cupcakes for the caterpillar body.  I just took regular cupcakes that were leftover from the other types of cupcakes I made & died a little icing red & a little icing green, covered the cupcakes & dipped them in the crystallized sugar that matched.  I'm not sure if it was the fact that they were regular icing or what, but these cupcakes' icing seemed to melt a little (as you can see in the above picture), where the other cupcakes' icing didn't.  Very strange.  But, it was blazing hot still at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct, so in the South, you just have to be thankful that nothing caught fire.  
One slice of watermelon...as you can see in the picture above, I just cut up watermelon & put it into jars like the majority of the fruit.  

On Sunday, he ate through one nice green leaf...now I guess I could have gone with lettuce or some kind of salad for this one, but that wasn't really keeping with my mostly fruit/sweets theme that the table had going on.  I had two serving dishes that looked like leaves from a great Tommy Bahama set that someone gave us as a wedding present.  I decided that those could be my nice green leaf and that I could put the colored cupcakes that resembled the caterpillar on them.  Besides the cupcakes' icing kinda melting onto the leaf trays...it worked out okay.  

So that's what we ate at the Very Hungry Caterpillar birthday party.  The food for a party with this theme is pretty easy, since the caterpillar kinda lays it out for you.  But, what's fun is that you can still do your own twist on the foods too.  Now that we've talked about the food from this party, why do I feel like I need to eat a cupcake all of a sudden?  ; )  

Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Invitations Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Food Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Apple Cake & Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Cherry Pie Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Guestbook & Favors Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Banners Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Decorations Post

No comments:

Post a Comment