Thursday, April 24, 2014

Squash Casserole

One of my go-to recipes for holidays is a squash casserole.  An old co-worker/friend of mine made this for a holiday get together one time & I just had to have her recipe.  I started making it that year & have continued to make it for pretty much the last 7 years.  I start with the recipe below & usually double it because I am usually cooking for a crowd.  Full Disclaimer: I usually add a tad bit more Cheez-Its & shredded cheese.  I have a cheese problem.  Admitting it is the first step though, right?  Anyway...on to the recipe.

This is what you will need.
2 lbs yellow squash
1 medium onion chopped up
1 8 oz container of sour cream
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1 cup crushed Cheez-Its
2 eggs
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons butter

Cook the squash & the onion with salt & pepper.  I used to always saute the squash & onions in a little olive oil in the saute pan with salt & pepper.  For Easter, however, I decided to try tossing the squash & onions in some olive oil & then baking them at 350 for about 30-45 minutes.  I think I liked this better because I didn't have to keep stirring them & trying to get them even & it kept the squash a little firmer when I added them to the casserole.  Don't get me wrong, the casserole is delicious whether the squash falls apart or not, but I think I liked it better with the squash staying together.  Anyway...back to the cooking.  After you cook the squash & onion however you choose to, add the sour cream, cream of celery, cheez-its, cheddar cheese, eggs & butter.  Mix it all together & stick it in a buttered casserole dish.  Cook at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the casserole looks set.  If you decide to double the recipe like I usually do, it will take you a little over an hour for the casserole to set.  Hope you enjoy this cheesy deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment