Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Buoys

Okay, first off, how cute are these Potty Barn buoys?  I love Pottery Barn & I wish I could have just bought these buoys as part of my decorations for the "Ahoy! It's a Boy!" shower, but I couldn't even find them for sale & I am sure they were quite expensive.  On Pinterest I found this blog By Stephanie Lynn that had a tutorial on how to make some similar buoys. 
We had this board in our garage leftover from a previous handyman project, so I enlisted the help of the hubby to cut it down to buoy height & make the angles & all.  I am not allowed to play with power saws, so him doing that portion of the project made us both happy. : ) 
Here is what the boards looked like after being cut down & angled.  I wanted one to be taller, so that's what he did. 

Next, I taped off the top & bottom of one buoy & the middle of the other & painted the still-exposed wood blue.  Luckily, we have a fair amount of paint around our house from random projects & the people who lived in our house before us had tons as well  We had some red & blue leftover from some cornhole boards that Steve had painted & it worked perfectly. 

After a couple of coats of the blue paint dried, I taped off the blue paint & painted the rest of the unpainted buoys red.  I then used a white paint pent to write 06 & 2013 on the buoys.  Baby Alex was due in June of 2013, so I thought that would be cute numbers for the buoys.  I enlisted the help of the hubby one more time to drill some holes in the tops of the buoys & then used the same rope that I used on the DIY Anchor & the DIY Life Preserver to tie knots into the tops of the buoys. 
 
Here is a close-up of the finished project & then a shot of them on the table during prep mode & then with everything else added to the table. 



Click Below to See Other Posts About This Party

Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Nautical Themed Baby Shower
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Decorations
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Kid's table
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Party Food
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Buoys
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Life Preserver
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Anchor
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Banners
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Diaper Cake
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Guestbook table

No comments:

Post a Comment