Monday, April 7, 2014

Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Decorations

As I mentioned in the initial "Ahoy! It's a Boy!" post, most of my cute Nautical decorations were either DIY or came from Oriental Trading, with a few things coming from my favorite place ever...Hobby Lobby.  When I started planning, I started with the table itself.  I had a big white tablecloth, but really wanted something navy & white to use on the table as well.  I found a navy & white striped piece of fabric on clearance for $8.99 at Joann Fabrics & used it to drape across the center of the table.  I also found a fishing net at Hobby Lobby for a few dollars & put it across one side of the table.

I found the adorable personalized oar at Oriental Trading.  It was about $19.99 & was a perfect centerpiece to use for the party & then send home with the parents-to-be as a memento of the party.  

I will talk more about food on the "Ahoy! It's a Boy!" party food post, but we went with a sheet cake because we were expecting around 40 plus people.  Sarah is obsessed with Publix cake, so her sister Dianna enlisted them to make the closest thing to Nautical that was in their current cake making repertoire.  I saw this adorable lighthouse online at Oriental Trading for like $4 & decided that it would go on top of the sheet cake to ensure the cake kept with the nautical theme.  : ) 
Some other super cute things I found at Oriental trading were the adorable nautical themed popcorn boxes that I used to serve the kids' snacks in (24 boxes for like $6), the anchor plates ($2 for every 8, I ordered 4 packs), the shell garland that I used across the front of the table ($8.75), nautical picks ($2.00 for 24), the life preservers that I put around the bottom of the clear round dishes (3 for $6.25), the nautical suckers that I used for the kids table ($5.25 for 12) & my favorite, the captain's hat for Derek, the dad-to-be ($5).  We love dressing up at our parties & especially making the men dress up if possible.  As the dad-to-be, he got to be the captain of the party.  Here are some of the decorations I found at Oriental Trading below. 
I bought some party fans from Party City & hung them on the outside of the tent looking in.


I also used random things that I found around either my house or my parent's house.  My dad actually had this old fishing net hanging in his gazebo.  No clue why, but I saw it & wanted to use it for the party.  The lantern below was also at my parent's house.  The people who lived in our house before us also had a house at the beach, so there are shells all around our backyard that they must have just brought home with them & I used them & some regular sand to decorate with as well.

Some of my favorite decorations for this party were the DIY ones.  I had a great time making the buoys, life preserver & anchor.  They were all pretty simple & really cheap, so check out how to make them on their respective posts.  You can also see more about the banners, the diaper cake & more on the other party posts for "Ahoy! It's a Boy!"  Thanks for visiting!



Click Below to See Other Posts About This Party

Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Nautical Themed Baby Shower
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Decorations
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Kid's table
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Party Food
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Buoys
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Life Preserver
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Anchor
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Banners
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Diaper Cake
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Guestbook table

No comments:

Post a Comment